Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Primal Chow Pork Carnitas with Guacamole.

I never made carnitas, honestly I had no idea how. I came upon this recipe from this site, and I have to say, I wished I had this recipe years ago!

Ingredients:

Olive oil
1 medium white onion, chopped into big pieces
2-3 lbs pork shoulder
4 cloves garlic, she says to peel and left whole, but I used minced
1 stick cinnamon (about 1/2 to 1 tsp)
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon Mexican Oregano (Italian Oregano smells and taste different)
1 teaspoon Spanish paprika (I used regular)
sea salt
black pepper

Directions:

In a large skillet add Olive Oil and saute the onion. Saute till onions become translucent, then add the pork to sear all sides. Remove the meat and onions and transfer it to a slow cooker. Add the rest of the ingredients, and 2 TBL of salt. Add enough water to cover the pork two-thirds, and cook for 5-6 hours. Let cool. Preheat the oven to broil. Transfer the shredded pork and add some juices (about 2 cups) in a baking dish, and broil for 15-20 min. Move the meat once in a while during the time in the oven. We served this meat with a spread of guacamole (recipe below) on a piece of lettuce leaf.


Homemade Guacamole (This one is mine):

1 Avocado (peeled, pitted, and mashed)
1 Tomato (roma) chopped
1 half of a medium sized onion chopped
1 JalapeƱo chopped
salt and pepper

Mix all the ingredients and done!

After you spread the guacamole on the leaf of lettuce, add a little bit of cilantro and lime. Chow down and enjoy!




As you noticed I topped it off with the guacamole in this picture. Believe me! You want to spread it first.

No comments:

Post a Comment